A HAY shed went up in flames on Tuesday, January 5 after a stack of hay spontaneously combusted.
Leongatha South, Koonwarra, Inverloch, Pound Creek and Tarwin Lower CFA units attended the blaze on Tuesday morning at Nicholas Road, near Koonwarra.
The fire is believed to have been caused by spontaneous combustion, with a majority of the hayshed damaged by the fire. The flames emitted heavy smoke that covered Nicholas Road and nearby land.
CFA operations manager Bill Allard said units managed to keep the blaze contained.
“We sent out an advice warning around the area towards Inverloch-Venus Bay Road, due to heavy smoke on the roads,” he said.
“Fortunately due to cool temperatures we did not need to take plenty of water from the farmers who need it most right now.”
Firefighters hoped to have a majority of the fire cleared by Tuesday evening, even though it was not deemed safe until 7pm Thursday.
Leongatha South captain Gary Williams said it was fortunate the blaze started in relatively mild conditions.
“It was lucky the weather conditions were cool. It would have been a lot more difficult to control the blaze if weather had been similar to how it was at Christmas,” Mr Williams said.
“This serves as a lesson for people to not put hay moist hay in a shed.”
Short URL: http://thestar.com.au/?p=17313