|

Fire causes devastating loss

A HOUSE fire in Inverloch resulted in the devastating loss of a home and a family pet last Tuesday.
Inverloch, Pound Creek and Wonthaggi CFA units attended the blaze on Inverloch-Kongwak Road at 5.28pm; however by the time emergency services arrived a majority of the house was destroyed.
Inverloch captain Allan Williamson said 30 firefighters attended the scene and did all they could do minimise the damage.
“The weatherboard house was completely alight when we arrived and it is now unliveable with about three quarters of the building destroyed. All units responded really quickly to the fire but it looks as though the house will probably be demolished at this point,” he said.
It is believed the fire started when the sole occupant of the home, a 32 year old Inverloch man, left a wood fire unattended in his living room.
“It appears as though the man left the door to his fireplace ajar and one of the logs rolled out and the house caught fire,” Mr Williamson said.
“The man had been in another room when the fire started. He came into the lounge to find in alight and fled the property.”
Upon escaping the property, the man realised his dog was still inside and ran back in to save him. The man was held back by flames and sustained burns to his arms in the attempted rescue.
“We recommend that in the case of a fire, do not return to the building under any circumstances. Wait for emergency services to attend the scene,” Mr Williamson said.
“We also ask people to ensure their smoke detectors are working.”
The man was taken to Wonthaggi Hospital for treatment of his burns. Emergency services found the dog deceased after the fire was extinguished.

No chance: despite the hard work of several fire crews, this house was completely destroyed.

No chance: despite the hard work of several fire crews, this house was completely destroyed.

Short URL: http://thestar.com.au/?p=19137

Posted by on Jul 19 2016. Filed under Featured, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Recently Commented

  • gigamax1: Truth is,most of these jobs will be taken by overseas labour,just like the other horticulture in this and...
  • gigamax1: These shops are just a bad investment,admittedly made no better by the bypass, but even if the bypass came...
  • vbresident: I applaud Cr. Jim Fawcett on his work-related ethics, which are reminiscent of past Councils. I can...
  • reality: After the board meeting where the Department of Health Secretary was again there to discuss some of the...
  • cmac: How about dog owners just walk with their dogs on a leash, and a rubbish bag? That way everyone is considered....