|

Guilty

THE Turtons Creek man accused of attacking two South Gippsland Shire Council workers was found guilty of attempted murder at the Supreme Court on Friday, June 24.

Jonas Black was found guilty of two counts of attempted murder and of perverting the court of justice at the conclusion of a two week trial.

Mr Black’s charges relate to an altercation on his property where he attacked Council workers Justin Eades and Matthew Patterson on May 25 of last year.

The Council workers were inspecting the property after Mr Black failed to comply with Council’s request to demolish unpermitted buildings on his land.

Mr Black attacked Mr Eades, then Mr Patterson, with a piece of scaffolding pipe before threatening to kill them when they ran from the scene.

Mr Patterson sustained lacerations to his head while Mr Eades sustained more substantial damage to his skull, which included concussion.

South Gippsland Shire Council chief executive officer Tim Tamlin said his colleagues were relieved by the outcome.

“I know I speak on behalf of everyone at Council when I express how relieved I am that the judicial process has come to a conclusion,” he said.

“This has been a very difficult period for Matt and Justin and their families.  I would like to take this opportunity to reaffirm our continued good wishes and support.”

Mr Black was found guilty of the attacks in which he was believed to have intended to kill both Council workers.  Mr Black’s other charges, for perverting the court of justice, relate to Mr Black’s attempts to dispose of his work boots during the investigation.

Mr Black made a number of calls to his girlfriend while in custody last year, during which he asked her to dispose of his work boots while she was on a trip in Melbourne.

It is believed Mr Black may have worn the boots while he dug a large hole near his property prior to the attack.

Jurors came to the conclusion Mr Black had presumably intended to use the hole as a grave for the victims.

The jury delivered its verdict after having heard accounts from the victims, police in attendance and a number of specialised investigators who linked Mr Black’s DNA to objects found at the “grave site”, along other supporting evidence.

Court was adjourned on Friday afternoon and a plea hearing has been set for Thursday, August 11.

Short URL: http://thestar.com.au/?p=18850

Posted by on Jun 28 2016. Filed under Featured, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Recently Commented

  • wstaton: I guess it means he will not be able to attend any council meetings saving us ratepayers his claims for...
  • rojo: Awesome work Lynette
  • vbresident: I read Ms Page’s offering and nearly choked laughing. We have a property on the second estate in...
  • brad: Hi Robbie. Would you like your comments to run as a letter to the editor too? If so, we just need your full...
  • robbiemc: The local council should not be wasting ratepayers money to build a rail trail. And more to the point there...