|

More MG workers axed

MURRAY Goulburn (MG) last week announced another 72 job cuts across its processing facilities, including 15 from the Leongatha factory.
MG shed 64 jobs at its Rochester site last March and another 300 across its operations last May, including 48 at Leongatha.
A Murray Goulburn spokesperson told The Star while 15 positions have been cut from the Leongatha factory, it still employs around 390 staff.
“These difficult decisions are made to maintain and improve MG’s global competiveness and deliver higher farmgate prices,” the spokesperson said.
The statement issued by the company stated the jobs losses were a result of its ongoing commitment to improving efficiency, productivity and cost competitiveness.
The remainder of roles lost are 38 positions at Cobram, eight at Kiewa, four at Edith Creek, four at Rochester and three at Koroit.
The changes will take effect in the late September to early October period.
National Union of Workers Victorian branch secretary Tim Kennedy said the announcement came out of the blue and created uncertainty and concern.
“We would like to get some more clarity and transparency around the decision and the alternatives they consider,” he said.
“We need companies like MG to continue to contribute to the regional economy. Communities in regional Victoria need a manufacturing base.
“Leongatha really does rely on a major manufacturer like Murray Goulburn.”
Mr Kennedy said there are some troubling aspects surrounding the decision to take out 72 positions, particularly off the back of a number of recent positive announcements from the company.
“We need to get some certainty around the future of the company. We can’t have these high quality jobs denuded from regional areas,” he said.
“These are good jobs and Murray Goulburn is a good employer. People like working for them so we need them to stay committed to these communities.”
Staff affected have been informed of the changes and advised that where possible, the cooperative has sought to minimise the impact on its people by looking first to natural attrition, contract and casual positions and then voluntary redundancies.
MG general manager operations Keith Mentiplay said “We recognise these changes are difficult for those impacted and we are doing everything we can to support affected staff at this time.
“All affected staff will receive their full entitlements and will receive additional support with outplacement, career transitioning services, financial advice and counselling.
“While these decisions are challenging, they are necessary to ensure MG remains competitive. It is in the best interests of our supplier/shareholders, employees, communities, customers and consumers that MG remains a strong business, able to compete globally and deliver higher farmgate prices.
“We continue to employ more than 2000 people at MG, mainly in rural and regional Australia and contribute an estimated $6 billion to the Australian economy.”
The announced changes will not impact MG’s productive capacity and services to customers are assured.

Short URL: http://thestar.com.au/?p=8276

Posted by on Aug 27 2013. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

You must be logged in to post a comment Login

Recently Commented

  • juliec: I hope the community can change the plan to log state forest in the Strzeleckis. The Strzelecki forests are...
  • russell: As usual Vicroads ignore their own guidelines… This from their own “Road Guide Notes”...
  • gatha4: Thankyou to The Star for your interest in and support for Aaron and his family. Trista’s Kitchen is...
  • gigamax1: Truth is,most of these jobs will be taken by overseas labour,just like the other horticulture in this and...
  • gigamax1: These shops are just a bad investment,admittedly made no better by the bypass, but even if the bypass came...