Demolition signals start


Demolition signals start

Taking shape: contractors start demolishing the old Leongatha Memorial Hospital buildings early last week. Since Gippsland Southern Health Service CEO Gary Templeton took this photo, no buildings remain standing.

DEMOLITION teams quickly reduced many buildings at Leongatha Memorial Hospital to rubble last week.
The works are being undertaken to make way for construction of the new Leongatha hospital.
Gippsland Southern Health Service CEO Gary Templeton expected demolition to be complete within weeks.
“I’m absolutely overjoyed. It clears up the site and once that is done, we will start to build the new hospital,” he said.
Construction of the new hospital is expected to start near the new Koorooman House and the new hospital will eventually link with the aged care facility.
“The new hospital will offer a good view on a day to day basis,” Mr Templeton said.
Most of the new hospital will be built by the end of 2013 before the rest of the old hospital is cleared.
“We still won’t be finished until into 2014. There is only one piece of demolition to do and that will be the executive building and that will go probably this time next year,” Mr Templeton said.
Access to the helipad at the hospital is now closed. Helicopters will now land at the Leongatha Aerodrome and patients transferred from the hospital to there.
That decision was made after discussions between the health service and Ambulance Victoria.
Mr Templeton said patients’ safety would not be compromised by the extra travel time.
“The difference in travel time is only 10 minutes,” he said.
The entrance to the hospital has been altered to enable paramedics to deliver patients to the hospital through that entry.
“We had hard paving ground down to a smoother surface at the front of the hospital to improve access for ambulance trolleys,” Mr Templeton said.
He said the new helipad at the hospital would “comply with all of the requirements”.
A police helicopter landed at the Leongatha Recreation Reserve last Tuesday, March 6. Police media were unable to indicate why the helicopter was in town, before The Star went to print.

Short URL: /?p=3123

Posted by on Mar 15 2012. Filed under Featured, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *