Fire destroys shed


Fire destroys shed

Just waiting: fire-fighters let the fire burn down at Ruby.

A SHED and 60 bales of hay were destroyed by fire at a Ruby dairy farm yesterday (Tuesday).

The fire broke out shortly before 8.30am at the Malones Road property.

Fire-fighters from Ruby and Leongatha fire brigades rushed to the scene, but there was little they could do, Ruby CFA captain Darren Hardacre said.

“The hay was unsaveable. Because we made the decision not to pull it out of the shed, we have not wrecked another paddock and we have had not any hay bales strewn all over the place,” he said.

Fire-fighters left the fire to smoulder, and inspected the shed yesterday and this morning.

Spontaneous combustion is believed to have caused the fire.

“The bales were put in there about six weeks ago and usually six to eight weeks is the time when you would expect something like this to happen,” Mr Hardacre said.

“The bales heat up, and that produces a chemical reaction and it catches alight.”

Farmers are being urged to watch for signs of spontaneous combustion risks in their haystacks by monitoring for heat and smoke.

More information is available on the Country Fire Authority website:

Short URL: /?p=2756

Posted by on Jan 11 2012. Filed under Community, Featured, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *