Fishy fly, Demons drop


Fishy fly, Demons drop

FISH Creek took on Yarram on a boggy ground in wintery conditions at Korumburra to open the Alberton finals’ series on Saturday.

Red and white: Yarram’s Luke LeBlanc shakes a tackle on Saturday.

Red and white: Yarram’s Luke LeBlanc shakes a tackle on Saturday.

It was the Kangaroos that were the more determined side and were able to handle the conditions better keeping their season alive.
Yarram kicked to the Melbourne end and got out of the blocks early – an ominous sign for Fish Creek.
Only one minute in Corbin Sutherland kept his feet when his opponent Lachie Pratt couldn’t and Sutherland held an uncontested mark to convert the first goal of the game.
Another bad sign for Fish Creek when only a minute or so later Kangaroos young gun Callan Park fell heavily and was heading to the bench, he would take no further part in the game.
Chad Macri, who has made a habit out of stopping opposition leaders, was given the tough job to curb former league best and fairest and Yarram coach Griffin Underwood. When he won a free kick at the seven minute mark Macri slotted Fishy’s first goal of the day and both sides were on the scoreboard.
Ethan Park then got on the end of a ball and kicked a precision pass to a leading Jason Rouda and Fish Creek had its second goal of the day.
Underwood vs Macri was a great battle all day as were some of the other match up’s such as Ireland and Ryan Underwood, Gus Staley and Lynch and Price and Swift to name a few.
Fish Creek continued to attack and were rewarded just before quarter time when Jake Staley gathered a loose ball and snapped truly to extend the Kangaroos lead to 13 points at the first change.
After slow quarters from both ends of the ground in the second at the main break Fish Creek held a 10 point lead.
Yarram needed the first goal of the second half and this was provided by Ryan Underwood who gathered the ball at a boundary throw in at the seven minute mark of the quarter and goaled, a very determined Fish Creek side would answer immediately through Chad Macri only a minute later.
Play continued with both sides defending well and both sides struggling in the conditions and with the heavy ground. Yarram playmaker Griffin Underwood was able the break the Macri tag and kick a great goal on the run to again bring his side within a kick.
Fish Creek however were able to again answer almost immediately through their assistant coach Hoskin after beautifully roving the ball in the Fish Creek goal square and kicking the goal.
Fishy appeared hungrier and continued to attack and were rewarded just before three quarter time with a goal to Trent Price and another beautiful snapped goal from 35-40m out. The margin going into the final break 17 points in favor of the Kangaroos.
The final quarter continued to be a struggle with both sides wanting the important first goal of the quarter. Fish Creek’s Travis Manne continually dropped back to take countless defensive marks, with Blencowe and Pratt rarely beaten all day.
Fishy was able to hang on for a hard fought and well-deserved win by 11 points to book themselves a berth in the semi final against Korumburra-Bena next weekend.

Fish Creek 7.6.48 def Yarram 5.7.37



Bulldogs bite big cats

STRAIGHT kicking was the key for Korumburra-Bena when they faced off with Kilcunda-Bass on home soil on Saturday.
Things started strong for the Bulldogs early on with coach and play maker Peter Kyle working hard.
Three straight kicks meant three goals to Korumburra-Bena but one to the Panthers had the margin at 12 points at the first break.
The Bulldogs stepped up the defensive ante in the second shutting down almost everything that entered the Panther’s forward zone and restricting them to just behinds.
Two more straight kicks to the Bulldogs had the margin doubled to 24 at the half.
Kyle called for his boys to put the Panthers away in the third and they responded well.
A tsunami of forward entries had the Kilcunda-Bass contingent struggling. Seven goals and six behinds to the Bulldogs shot their lead well out of reach of their opponent.
Korumburra-Bena sat ahead by 65 at the final break.
The Bulldogs continued their team game in the final amassing nine individual goal kickers. These were lead by Jason Wilson and Peter Kyle who bagged three majors each.
Panther hard man Brett Anthony pushed to the end but it was to no avail as his team went down by 75 points.
Korumburra-Bena will face Tarwin at Toora on Sunday.

Korumburra-Bena 15.9.99 def Kilcunda Bass 3.6.24



MDU close Phillip Island’s door

THE Meeniyan Dumbalk United young guns came out on the back foot when they met Phillip Island on Saturday.
Inaccurate kicking was the theme of the day with both teams amassing just seven majors between them for the match while the behind tally reached 24.
Phillip Island had the advantage at the first break but six behinds meant its lead of nine could have been much greater.
The Demons hit back in the second but could have extended their lead beyond seven if not for wayward kicks.
Ryan Olden and Joel Winderlich were putting in the hard yards for MDU while Jack Taylor and Alex Duyket were leading the charge for the Bulldogs.
It was still anyone’s game at three quarter time with MDU ahead by only 13.
Three goals in the fourth were enough to seal the win for the Demons however taking a solid 34 point victory.
MDU will face Fish Creek on Sunday at Toora.

M.D.U. 6.14.50 def Phillip Island 1.10.16



Dalyston storm home

A POWERFUL final quarter performance from Dalyston led to the end of Yarram’s finals campaign on Saturday.
Yarram led from the get go with four quick goals in the first to give them a lead of 19 points at quarter time.
The Magpies fought back in the second kicking four goals of their own to lead by one at the main break.
Darcy and Flynn Brosnan were leading the force in the Magpie forward line but a slow third quarter saw Yarram get the slightest advantage at the final break.
Dalyston kicked into over drive from the first bounce in the fourth hammering home six goals.
The Brosnan boys managed three each for the game to help take their side to a 38 point win.
Dalyston take on Phillip Island on Sunday.

Dalyston 11.9.75 def Yarram 5.7.37



Fish Creek hold back Bulldogs

BOTH Fish Creek and Phillip Island started very bodily in the A Grade match, and it seemed that the Bulldogs had a lot more of the ball getting turnovers and tips but not capitalising in the goal ring.
Fish Creek went into the first break up by seven.
Phillip Island had good pressure over the ball and had great drive down the court, but with Fish Creek’s accurate shooting they were able to put the score on the board and increased their lead to 11 at half time.
Great defensive pressure by both teams, all over the court. Midway through the quarter saw the Island get four consecutive goals to cut back the margin but Fish Creek settled with a few late goals in the quarter. Fish Creek led 27-18 at the final change.
Fish Creek’s goal shooters played a very consistent game shooting accurately which helped their team to have a comfortable lead. Phillip Island made a late change to their goaler, but it was all too late to bridge the gap to bring the final margin to three goals.
Fish Creek 36 def Phillip Island 33
Umpires Best on Court: Lawri Piera – Phillip Island

B Grade – Dalyston v Fish Creek
Quick, solid start by both teams, flowing the ball well from end to end of the court. A tight contest in both goal rings, with all defenders playing extremely tight. Fish Creek led by two at the first break.
Tight defensive pressure all the way down the court by both teams saw many turnovers and the ball forced back for players to re-lead and create space. An elegant tumble by the umpire, saw her down for a split second but never taking her eyes off the game! An even quarter saw the lead stay the same at half time.
One change for Dalyston saw Abby McNish replaced with Gabby Bloch, no change to Fish Creek’s side. Fish Creek got off to a quick start, but as had been the case during the day, goals were hard to come by for both teams in the first half of the quarter. Dalyston made some mistakes in which Fish Creek capitalised increasing their lead to nine. An injury time to Gabby Bloch saw Abby McNish back on and a stoppage of play to remove the child on his scooter, saw Dalyston re-group and decrease Fish Creek’s lead to only four at the last change.
A change to Fish Creek’s defence saw Kelly Pruyn off and Brodie Staley moved into GK. No change to Dalyston’s team. Dalyston came out firing and both teams were very physical in the last quarter. Dalyston fought back to be within one goal with only a minute to play.
As the teams went goal for goal, Dalyston just couldn’t get the break that they needed. Fish Creek were eventual winners by three goals.
Fish Creek 47 def Dalyston 44
Umpires Best on Court: Nadia Leunig – Fish Creek

C Grade – Dalyston v Toora
A tight contest by both teams to start the game, showing their determination at the first whistle. Goals were hard to come by for both teams, in the second half of the quarter Dalyston got a quick jump on Toora to take a lead of five at the first change.
Dalyston kept up its momentum into the second quarter and at one stage had a lead of nine; Toora crept back to only trail by four with four minutes left in the quarter. Dalyston re-focused and pushed ahead to increase the lead to eight at half time.
A huge quarter by Dalyston making use of every loose ball, turn over and opportunity that came around. Toora didn’t score till the fourth minute of the quarter. Dalyston increased its lead by ten to be up by eighteen at the end of the third quarter.
Toora didn’t let Dalyston increase its lead putting pressure on all over the court. It was goal for goal for more than half of the quarter. Dalyston ended the quarter victors by nineteen.
Dalyston 49 def Toora 30
Umpires best on Court: Jacqui Dunlop – Dalyston

17 & Under – InverlochKongwak vs Foster
The rain had cleared and made the game a close and physical contest with both teams making it hard for each other. Inverloch Kongwak got a short jump on Foster to go into the first change leading by four.
Both Kelsey’s at GD played a solid quarter against their opponents getting some tight rebounds.
The mid court pressure applied by Inverloch Kongwak made it tough for Foster to get the ball into their attacks, but missed opportunities by Inverloch Kongwak saw their lead decrease to only one at half time.
A press enforced by Inverloch Kongwak during the third quarter forced many turnovers and increased their lead to five but Foster stuck to their guns and played a short and sharp game to peg it back to a one goal lead at three quarter time.
Some silly mistakes and loose passes started the last quarter for both teams. Inverloch Kongwak kept its head and extended its marginal lead to nine at the final siren.
Inverloch Kongwak 30 def Foster 21
Umpires Best on Court: Kelsey Buxton – Inverloch Kongwak

15 & Under – Yarram v Kilcunda-Bass
The misty rain started to clear but the court was still a slippery. An easier game for the umpires to identify players with both clubs having very different colours. A strong start by both teams, making use of every opportunity. Yarram led by two at the first break.
A strong quarter by Yarram in the goals with disciplined play by both teams.
Yarram increased its lead to seven up at half time.
A strong start by Kilcunda Bass with their supporters getting right behind them on the sidelines. The Turner sisters were very strong under the ring, pulling in many rebounds. Yarram fought back in the second half of the quarter to increase their lead. Yarram led by eleven at the last change.
A tough, evenly contested final quarter with both teams fighting hard for the ball and trying to capitalise on every mistake. Yarram kept its lead till the final siren and were outright winners by twelve goals.
Yarram 37 def Kilcunda Bass 25
Umpires Best on Court: Logan McFarland – Yarram

13 & Under – Korumburra-Bena v Phillip Island
A wet and cold start for the young netballers, a lot of little mistakes in the first couple of minutes as the players juggled the weather and nerves. Players soon started to get clear and the game flowed well from both clubs. Korumburra Bena led at the first break by five.
Korumburra Bena made some slight changes to their wings and got a couple of quick goals at the start of the second quarter. A short time out for Phillip Island’s ‘C’ with the blood rule saw the Island re-group and score the next couple of goals. Korumburra-Bena led at half time 15-6.
A good quarter by Korumburra Bena with tough defence all throughout the court and pressure over the ball saw them hold the Island to a scoreless quarter. Korumburra Bena led 21-6 at the last break.
Korumburra Bena kept up the pressure throughout the last quarter to have a comfortable lead at the final siren.
Korumburra Bena 29 def Phillip Island 11
Umpires Best on Court: Ellie Holmes – Korumburra Bena

Short URL: /?p=8306

Posted by on Aug 27 2013. Filed under Sport. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *