Police defend shooting

|

Police defend shooting

Shooting scene: police guard the site of the shooting last Friday.

POLICE command has defended the shooting of a man at Dumbalk North last Thursday, saying the man’s actions risked the safety of police.
The shooting was the first of its kind in South Gippsland.
Seige commander, Inspector Glenn Weir, said police were forced to react when the 45-year-old threatened them with a firearm out the front of his home.
“The police cordon was well back so as not to make him feel too threatened, but then he jumped off the verandah and came towards them, which put the blokes in a position where they couldn’t do anything else but defend themselves,” he said.
“Whilst it was unfortunate at the end that the offender was shot, really his actions dictated the outcome. It could have been a lot worse. The members’ actions are fully supported by me.”
The inspector rigorously defended the decision to deploy the weapon, and said that the officers were well drilled about how to behave in such situations.
The man is believed to have been having personal and relationship issues, and was at first threatening to harm himself with the weapon, said Inspector Weir, of the Bass Coast and South Gippsland Police Service Area.
After hours of extensive negotiations, the man, who had been sitting on his front porch, came at the police cordon brandishing the gun.
He was subsequently shot in the knee by a member of the Special Operations Group.
The man had at one stage got into his car and driven towards the police, before deciding to retreat back to the house.
“We have hundreds of these incidents yearly that don’t end in shootings. Unfortunately there’s always the possibility that one will escalate as this one has. For every one we do, we’ve been to about a hundred that end well,” Insp Weir said.
“At the end of the day all we can control is what we can control, he was negotiated with. There were full time negotiators from Melbourne on scene, talking to him for ages, but his mindset and attitude were such that it was always going to end the way it did.”
Police teams from Mirboo North, Leongatha, Meeniyan, Korumburra, Loch and Wonthaggi were at the scene, as well as specialist resources.
More than 50 police were deployed. The man’s family contacted police, concerned for his welfare as they had not seen him, and indicated he may have been at the address.
Police arrived at around 10.50am and spoke to the man in the front yard before he produced a firearm.
The officers then retreated, established a cordon and called for help from specialist resources. The siege ended about 4pm. The man was airlifted to The Alfred Hospital for treatment, in a stable condition.
The matter will be investigated by members of the Crime Department and overseen by the Ethical Standards Department.

Short URL: http://www.thestar.com.au/?p=282

Posted by SiteAdmin on Nov 30 2010. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love
Facebook
Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *