Quick response saves school

|

Quick response saves school

Burnt out: the fire upset Korumburra Primary School principal Bill Jeffs.

AN EXCITING week at Korumburra Primary School ended on a sad note on Friday morning with a fire gutting out the canteen.
Early Friday around 5.30am, security motion detectors were triggered in the school canteen.
Police and security officers arrived expecting a robbery, but came across the fire.
Quickly they notified the CFA, who responded promptly and soon extinguished the fire.
School principal Bill Jeffs was appreciative of the fast work by emergency services.
“We are very fortunate that the fire was extinguished when it was, otherwise we may have lost the whole gym,” Mr Jeffs said.
“We were told the fire was just moments away from full combustion, which would have been disastrous.”
The source of the fire is suspected to be an electrical fault in the canteen’s stove.
The unfortunate event occurred on Walk to School Day, when 150 students were expecting to enjoy breakfast at the canteen as a reward for participating.
“We coped all right and were still able to provide breakfast for the walkers,” Mr Jeffs said.
It is expected the canteen will be out of order for some time and quotes have the repair job looking to cost roughly $40,000.
The school community had just celebrated the opening of the new BER Building on Wednesday.

Short URL: /?p=1379

Posted by on May 24 2011. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love
Facebook
Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *