Sea Eagles back in form


Sea Eagles back in form

INVERLOCH Kongwak certainly put the league on notice with its convincing win over Kilcunda Bass at the weekend.
The travelling Sea Eagles were looking to make amends for the last match up against the Panthers, where they were beaten comfortably, yet it was Kilcunda Bass who drew the first blood as Jason Wells split the middle.
Using the wind, Kilcunda Bass continued to attack and launch the ball forward which resulted in multiple goals from Wells and Taylor Gibson.
Despite the strong wind against it, Inverloch Kongwak managed to rebound quickly from half back using its extreme pace and polished skills to enter its attacking 50.
The away side was able to convert these opportunities into goals, bringing the margin back to 12 points before the first break.
From the outset of the second quarter Inverloch Kongwak looked to make the most of the breeze and take control of the contest and they did exactly that as Kilcunda Bass did not score a goal while the Sea Eagles snagged four. Corey Casey and Andy Soumilas began to dominate in the midfield and pinpoint targets on strong leads up forward.
Tom Bartholomew was displaying his strength and class, as was Will Hetherington who continued to impact the scoreboard.
Kilcunda Bass defenders, led by Mitch Whitham and Dale Crawford, were providing their best efforts to halt the visitor’s attacks and send the sherrin the other way but it was all Inverloch Kongwak, as it had a two goal lead going into half time.
After a poor quarter, the home side looked to bounce back after the main break and use the strong gale to retake the lead before the final quarter.
Yet after Jase Wells kicked an early goal, Inverloch Kongwak coaches made arguably the move of the day and put Dylan Clarke on the prominent small forward.
Clarke’s size proved to be too much for Wells in marking contests as he often spoiled the ball out of bounds when the Panthers looked for Wells.
Dave Hutchinson was racking up his fair share of disposals for the Panthers, sparking multiple attacks, but Clarke was able to turn those around and create some deadly counter-attacks, which resulted in goals.
The wind didn’t seem to phase the Sea Eagles as they soared away from their opposition with a 29 point lead at the final break.
Kicking against the wind and 29 points down was not the situation Kilcunda Bass hoped to be in at the beginning of the fourth quarter and the four points was certainly slipping away every minute that went by.
The Panthers looked as if they could possibly mount a small comeback after Gibson kicked an early major from point blank range.
The hope was quickly crushed as Gibson received a yellow card for pushing Clarke after he kicked the goal in what seemed to be an incredibly soft cause for a strong penalty.
Already playing extremely well and with one more player on the ground Inverloch Kongwak capitalised and dominated the remainder of the quarter.
Clint McCaughan was hitting it down the throat of his midfielders and dominating around the ground, resulting in his side piling on six goals for the term.
The last goal of the day summed up the poor performance of the Panthers as after a point was scored, Brent Macaffer kicked waywardly which was picked off by the man on the mark and snapped over his head making Inverloch Kongwak 67 point victors.
Now with some really good form, next week Inverloch Kongwak will take on Dalyston, where it’ll look to knock off the flag favourites and edge closer to the top spot.
On the contrary, Kilcunda Bass will have to bounce back and prove it is worthy of finals footy by securing a win over Nar Nar Goon.

Claimed: Kilcunda Bass’ Jordan Robinson took an impressive mark against Inverloch Kongwak in the Reserves match on Saturday.

Short URL: /?p=22039

Posted by on Jul 25 2017. Filed under Sport. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *