Teen brutally beaten after football game


Teen brutally beaten after football game

LEONGATHA footballer Campbell Riseley was brutally attacked from behind by a Bairnsdale player after the final siren of the Fourths game at Leongatha Recreation Reserve on Saturday.

Allegedly, the Bairnsdale player approached 15 year old Campbell, put him in a headlock from behind, threw him to the ground, jumped on him, punched him and then spat on him.

Campbell was taken, unconscious, by ambulance to Latrobe Regional Hospital at Traralgon where he was treated, tested and cleared to return home that evening.

The Star understands one umpire said the behaviour of players from both sides was the worst he had seen.

Leongatha Fourths coach Gene Vanderzalm said, “It’s not a nice incident when a child gets hurt in a game of football.”

“I have been involved in football most of my life and I have never seen anything like this happen,” he said.

“I was concerned for my player’s welfare and I will be sitting down with my team this week to debrief.

“It’s just upsetting that someone got hurt right at the end like that.

“I’m just worried about my team and the next week.”

Police are not investigating the incident at this stage but were called by ambulance to assist at the scene.

“We were not called by the football club or parents, purely by the ambulance for assistance,” Leongatha Police Sergeant Dale McCahon said.

“At this stage there has been no report of assault made to police although we are aware of it and we will wait and see.

“Obviously we have spoken to the parents of both children and are now waiting to find out if they want police involvement.”

Sgt McCahon said it was police policy that if an incident occurred at a sporting event that has a governing body, that body is responsible for dealing with it. In this case, it’s the Gippsland League.

“It is under the league’s jurisdiction. If it were an ultra serious injury or a video of somebody getting king hit, we would have involvement,” Sgt McCahon said.

Campbell, and his parents Trevor and Catherine, thanked the trainers for their professionalism and care and the ambulance staff who attended.

“Campbell was concussed and knocked out for about half an hour and when he was taken to hospital the scans showed he was okay,” Trevor Riseley said.

“He is still suffering ongoing effects from the concussion and will need to miss a few days of school and a basketball grand final.”

The Star could not make contact with the Gippsland League or AFL Gippsland before going to print.










Short URL: /?p=25048

Posted by on Jun 5 2018. Filed under News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Share your love

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *